Theatres, producers, directors and artists are lifting our lockdown spirits with virtual shows while venues are in the dark. One in five of us are accessing digital arts content for the first time with nearly 20% of adults watching theatre, dance or music performances digitally*
Online highlights so far include Gary Barlow’s Crooner Sessions (51 vids now on YouTube), Chris Martin’s ‘Together at Home’ daily concerts for Global Citizen (64 vids now on YouTube), Lloyd Webber’s screening of six of his musicals (half a mill raised for The Actors Fund… Check out the cast of Beautiful in quarantine worldwide singing ‘You’ve Got a Friend’ for the same charity too). Mamma Mia’s Thank you for the Music video to cheer up cast buddy with COVID-19 is worth a watch and the Leave a Light On series, live streaming of concerts by The Theatre Café ( £7.50/£8.50) still has ten to go, closing on Friday 29 May with a Beverley Knight gig. https://www.thetheatrecafe.co.uk/events/
Here are some more gooduns..
* Hamilton will be streamed on Disney+ on Friday 3 July featuring the original Broadway cast including Lin-Manuel Miranda as Alexander Hamilton.
* Lyric Hammersmith Theatre stream A Doll’s House for one day only via YouTube on Wed 20 May, 2.30pm – midnight
* The Old Vic launch a new online Education Hub next month with resources, how-to guides, and interviews and will be streaming archived shows, kicking off with Sally Cookson’s A Monster Calls, Fri 5 June, 7pm
* Watford Palace Theatre are running Palace @ Home. Watch Kiki’s Birthday Party, a children’s story of a cute French mouse with puppetry, on Fri 22 May and Fri 29 May at 11am. Register at watfordpalace.co.uk
There’s a Pint sized poetry pub quiz on Fri 22 May at 7pm on Zoom and poems@home with the next one on Wed 27 May, 11am.. Details at www.watfordpalace.co.uk
* Arts enthusiasts London are running fun webinars /workshops for children ages 6 – 9 yrs and 10 – 13 yrs on Da Vinci, Mondrian, Frida Kahlo, Impressionism and more
* Local Musical Director/Composer, Patrick Rufey (ex SCD), was due to launch a new Musical Theatre Orchestra at the Grove Theatre, Dunstable later this week but instead has put together a Lerner & Loewe medley ( My Fair Lady to Gigi) as a taster of what should have been. Conducted, produced and orchestrated by Patrick, it features a 23 piece orchestra and four vocalists, including ex SCD pro operatic baritone Thom Isherwood
GREAT WEBSITES for news on streaming musicals, plays and updates:
And Watersmeet has conveniently gathered together links to some top venues with online events from The National to Shakespeare’s Globe, the Royal Opera House and Sydney Opera House
* Digital Arts Research: The Creative Industries Policy and Evidence Centre