St Clement Danes

Posted On June 9, 2015
June 09, 2015

St Clement Danes School

Situated on the outskirts of the town in extensive grounds along Chenies Road, St. Clement Danes is an 11-18, all ability, co-educational school.

The exceptional performance of the school is indicated by its Ofsted report of October 2011,in which inspectors considered the school to be “outstanding” in every one of the 31 judgements made in the inspection report.

The school has a record of exceptional student achievement with high levels of participation. Excellent examination results, significant student progress and exemplary behaviour are all strengths of the school. Students not only achieve highly, they also take part in an impressive array of extra-curricular activities, with student leadership being an important focus. The Sixth Form is housed in a purpose-built block and provides students with exceptional facilities. The majority of Year 13 leavers go on to study at University, with significant numbers each year securing places at their first choice, including a number to highly competitive courses in top institutions, including Oxford and Cambridge.

Its track record in teaching and learning has led to it becoming a National Teaching School in 2013; Dr Valentine, the Headteacher, has been a National Leader in Education since 2008. Because of its reputation for delivering an outstanding education to its students, the school was asked by Hertfordshire County Council to apply to open a new school for Croxley Green. Their application was successful, and the new school, which will use St Clement Danes as its blueprint, will open in September 2017.


The first St Clement Danes was opened as a boys’ grammar school in Houghton Street, London in 1862.

In 1928, the school transferred to a new site in Hammersmith.

In 1975 it moved  to its present location as an all-ability, co-educational school in 1975.

The school converted to Academy status in July 2011.

The school has the support and financial backing of the St Clement Danes Holborn Estate Charity and the school’s own Charitable Foundation which affords the school significant autonomy.

Every November, The School’s annual Commemoration Service is held at St Clement Danes’ Church on the Strand. The school is organised into eight houses. These are named after individuals associated with, or locations close to, St Clement Danes’ Church in London and the Inns of Court.

The awkwardly named Barbirolli Hall is named after Sir John Barbirolli, an Old Dane, who went on to conduct the Hallé Orchestra in Manchester for over three decades.



Related Articles

May 2014: Prom Videos

Sept 2014: Exam Results

Oct 2014: New Look Barbirolli

Nov 2014: Charities Week

Nov 2014: Food Tech Awards

Nov 2014 Jazz Master class

Past Pupils

August 2013: Tom Clarkson, Filmaker

April 2014:  Tom Clark

Sept 2014: Jack Garratt

Nov 2014:  Richard Ardagh,

Dec 2014: Blues Brothers Banned

March 2015: Jack Rooke

October 2015: David Wilson



First Football tea 1913

First XI Football team 1913

First X! Football team 2014

First XI Football team 2014

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *